Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mean Girls

If you've ever wondered if mean girls really exist, I'm here to tell you that indeed they do. I don't think it's necessary that I even tell you that they're real and roaming around, but sometimes we just need a reminder. And if I'm being completely honest, it irritates the snot out of me that some girls have the mindset that they can have complete control over another girls, or hundreds of girls for that matter, emotions and thoughts. More often than not, I'd love to slap some sense into those girls, of course, in grace and truth.

Who do they think they are? That's what I have to say to that.

Of course, like in all situations, there are two sides to the story.

So as much as I have a word for the mean girls, I also have a word for the girls who get knocked to the ground by every word thrown at them by said mean girls.

Who do they think they are to take it? To obey? To be defined by what the other girls think of them? Oh, my heart hurts for them. It's insecurity and no self-confidence at it's deepest level.

These girls feel the need to comply to fit in which makes me sick.

I can't say that my whole life I've been an individual and never worried for one second what other people thought. Quite the contrary, actually. I mean, there is a reason I'm reading So Long, Insecurity, by Beth Moore.

So, imagine my horror today when I pulled up this article about a sorority at Cornell University with a strict, strict dress code. It made my stomach turn.

What in the sweet US of A are we raising our girls to become?

My heart is so burdened for the girls that feel the need to join that sorority, and follow those strict guidelines just to fit in. Do they know how fake that is? Can't we have a little individuality and it be okay? The upsetting thing is, most of these girls won't get it. They will go their whole life living like that, thinking it's okay and acceptable, only to raise their girls like that. Mean girls is truly an epidemic. And it doesn't stop at high school. We all know it continues well into adulthood.

Maybe I'm passionate about this because I'm constantly surrounded by this.

But y'all, passionate or not, our girls need some major Truth poured into their lives.

And I pray to God that I am used by Him to be a vessel in sharing that Truth.

Sharing that Truth to the mean girls and conforming girls alike. They all equally need a wake-up call. Life does not revolve around them. Nor do their lives revolve around what people think of them.

Currently there is a song out called More Beautiful You by Jonny Diaz. He speaks such Truth over the girls and it is the sweetest thing.

God created us each with our own personality, our own style, our own gifts. There can never be a more beautiful you. He's created us each with a purpose to Glorify God and it looks completely different from your next door neighbor. And news flash, that's okay.

Please join me in praying for our girls. They are being so attacked in every way, shape and form and it breaks my heart.

Mean girl or not, they all need Jesus (just like I do) in a major way. Only He can change their thought life. The way they perceive themselves. And most importantly, their heart.

Lord, give us all a passion to have a heart like yours. Amen.

10 comments:

Angela said...

I am reading that book too! It is great! Hope you are having a Super week!

Amanda said...

Preach it!

Suzi K said...

Dang girly, great post!

Marla Taviano said...

I want to be a vessel of Truth right along with you, Lindsee!

p.s. Got a book w/your name on it. It'll be waiting patiently. :)

Patty said...

That will teach girl!! We were talking about this very subject last Sunday in Sunday school. Joining you in praying for our young women and us older ones too!

fuzzytop said...

Oh, Amen! I have a 13-year old daughter, and she struggles sometimes with how much of herself to "give up" in order to fit in. It is so painful...

Thank-you Lindsee for taking a stand on this one!

Hugs,
Adrienne

Lindsey said...

Let me just say I would have never made it in either of those sororities! Wow!

Thanks so much for sharing your heart. I love the song, and have already sent it to the girls in my small group.

Emmy said...

What a great post! I have been on my FACE about this lately... being in the throws of the teen years... ughhh

What a precious gift you are! Can I fly my Lizzy to Houston for lunch! : )

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post - I have totally personally experienced some mean girls in my life and I'm terrified of my daughter getting to that stage! Thanks for sharing and I'll be praying with you!

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

What a GREAT blog :) I saw you on Kelly Korner's Blog post today. Wow! I am a new follower - excited to walk along with you via blog world. Praise the LORD for JESUS and that song is incredible!!!

-Ria