Since last OCTOBER I have been re-doing/decorating my room at home. You know, I am wanting to make it a "big girl" room, since in 6 months I will be living at home for student teaching and saving money. It has been a long time coming, but it is SLOWLY coming together.
Today I was cleaning more out (a.k.a. getting rid of things) when I ran across a bag of old notes/cards from previous years. Yes, I admit, I am a pack rat when it comes to these things. I love to look back and read what people wrote, it is so intriguing and not to mention encouraging. So, that's exactly what I did. I read every card. Oh boy.
First of all, I want you all to know the amazing friends I have. Jennifer, Joanna, and Sally are truly a gift from God. They are THE BEST FRIENDS a girl could ever ask for. They way they encourage me, laugh with me (or at me), listen to me, talk with me, and care about me are more than I could have ever asked for. The Lord knew what he was doing when he specifically placed each of these sweet ones in my life. I am beyond blessed and more than grateful for each of these girls. It was so neat to read through my cards (all of which were from them!) and just see the love of God pour out of them. I was so encouraged.
Aside from that I have to tell you about a funny story about one of the cards I found. It was from Joanna on my 19th birthday, telling me she would "never miss this day!"
I know you're probably thinking, okay, but what does that mean? Well, my 19th birthday was just funny now that I look back.
That summer (since my birthday is June 2nd it is clearly a summer birthday!) I worked for Sally's parents and of course, was working on my birthday. Although I wasn't thrilled to be working on my birthday, this was just a normal occurrence, so I went to work joyfully thinking I would have fun that night with my girls. You see, my dad was out of town that year for my birthday so my parents took me out to eat the night before, and I would eat with my girls the day of my birthday. I was totally fine with that. Jen was out of town also, so it was just gonna be Sally and Joanna. Once again, TOTALLY fine with that.
That day, Sally surprised me at work by window chalking my car and then brought me a cake! It was so fun. She then proceeded to tell me that she did that because she was going to have to babysit that night so she couldn't come to dinner. Sad. But, Jo was still good (at least I thought so) so all was well. The day went on and it was getting close to home time and I maybe thought they would let me leave early, since everyone else seemed to do that on their birthday! But no, I was wrong. They kept giving me little jobs to do and I started to get annoyed, I wanted to go home, it was my birthday. Finally, AFTER 5:00 they let me leave. Y'all, I normally left AT 5:00. Anyway, on my way out the door Jo called me to tell me that she was visiting someone in the hospital and then eating with her parents, so she couldn't eat with me. WHAT?!
I was kinda starting to get really frustrated, it's my birthday and NO ONE can do anything. My little brother than proceeded to call me to ask if I could pick up dinner for him somewhere on the way home because he was in a hurry and needed to leave right when I got home. Are you kidding me?! Not only can Jo or Sally eat with me, but now I am picking up food for my little brother who was leaving for the night, along with my mom who had Choir rehearsal that evening. Do y'all get what was happening? I was going to sit at home, by myself, for my birthday and wallow in my self-pity. It was an awful day at the least.
I pulled up to my house, bitter and frustrated with everyone, gave Kevyn his food (who met me at the car) and then went inside.
When I walked in I noticed the stairs were covered in Starbursts and I heard "Dancing Queen" loudly blaring from my room. I walked up the stairs, proceeded to my room to see it decorated from head to toe for my birthday, and then noticed the cake on my window seat with candles lit just going as if no one was worried the house could burn down. Finally, out popped 2 girls from my closet in which I then about wet myself from the surprise.
They were there, my girls were lying to me the whole time. Everything that happened that day was a ploy. Keeping me late at work, getting Kevyn food, all of it. Just a ploy for me to get home later so that they had enough time to decorate my room and surprise me, and what a surprise it was!
We did go to dinner and it was a great night. I was no longer frustrated or bitter, and no, I didn't wallow in self-pity that night.
I went home thinking I had the best friends in the whole entire world!
And I most certainly do!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
hahah i just have to tell you:
1) i love you!!
2)i never want to miss that day!!
3)i have been dying laughing thinkning about that cake sitting on your window seal...it just tickled me
4)i have missed you today!!
5)i am blessed to know you!
Ohh! That is absolutely precious! You do have wonderful friends...clearly!
Oh my gosh!
We were such good friends!! I'm so impressed!
Honestly I had forgotten all those details but how fun that was! I wish I could do that for you every year! ...Except it might get a little old and you might just come to expect it and well that would just ruin all the fun!
Thanks for sharing.
You should do a series on fun/funny memories from your past (aka about us ;0). I would eat that up, just like your flaming birthday cake.
Err...cakeS. Did anybody else notice that Lindsee got TWO cakes in one day??? I mean, really, what were we trying to do to you?
love, love, love.
ALWAYS.
Sal
I can just picture you getting so mad that Kevyn asked you to pick up dinner! Hahaha...
Sorry you won't be making it to Colorado this summer, Lindsee! I love the "Dancing Queen" birthday story. I hope you kept all of those notes...they are keepers for another day down memory lane.
We're going up to Estes and the Rocky Mountain National Park next weekend. I'll take lots of pictures for you!
With love and prayers,
Holly
linds!! that is such a cute cute story! love it!
and i am now your official fort worth friend! crazy! i have internet so i'm back in business!
already miss you honey.. love you!
Post a Comment