Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Splitting Headache

Warning: This is totally a Debbie Downer post. So sorry!

I hate funerals. Hate them. Especially one week before Christmas.

One reason I hate them is because I am that girl who cannot stop crying at them. I mean, there are times when I feel like everyone else has it all together, and I just can't get myself together. They just make me sad. Really, if I didn't even know you and came to your funeral, I'd be a hot mess. After all the crying business, I am left with a splitting headache the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, I attended one today of a 57 year old man, who has attended our church for 20 years, and passed away very early Monday morning. It was completely unexpected and very shocking! He's been battling Bronchitis for a while and was having some difficulties breathing when he woke up. I guess it got so bad that his wife finally called the ambulance, but by the time they got there, it was too late. Y'all, can you imagine the devastation? The shock? The O'Brien's have been so on my heart this week.

I wasn't crying for John at all. He is loving where he is right now and if asked to come back to earth we all know he never would. I just hurt for his sweet family. I hurt because they had to bury their husband/dad a week before Christmas. For goodness sake, he didn't even get to meet his grandchildren.

If you think of the O'Brien's would you pray for them? They are at peace and know that this will all work out for their good, but right now it's just hard.

The service today, however, was so appropriate and sweet. Truly a celebration of his wonderful life. A great time of honoring this man and his family!

With that said, I have had a splitting headache all day. I've taken the Tylenol and even took a short nap, but it is still present. I think the only thing to cure this one is a good night's sleep, and boy am I so happy to get in my bed tonight!

On top of that, y'all, a thirteen year old girl who went to my old Jr. High, was hit by a drunk driver on Tuesday after she got off the bus and was killed instantly. Really? Thirteen, y'all. Simply awful and heartbreaking. Not to mention that she was in her own driveway. A place where you think you are completely safe. I didn't know her at all, but a few of the girls in our youth group were on the bus when it all happened. That is something no Jr. Higher should ever witness. Just horrific.

Would you pray for this sweet family too? They've been on the news every night since then, and every time I can just see the sadness in their eyes. They are truly heartbroken.

I was just thinking today that it is so ironic that in the past week I have been to a baby shower, a wedding shower, a wedding and a funeral. It has just reminded me that life is so fragile. I pray we don't take it for granted. Especially during this Christmas season. Remember what is truly important in your life! Enjoy those around you. The "stuff" doesn't go with you. It may satisfy for a moment, but when you leave this life, you only take yourself. It's you and Jesus.

Don't forget the reason for the season. Jesus is so worth your everything.

5 comments:

Profbaugh said...

Hang in there Lindsee!! I'm praying for these families, your girls and for you. I have absolutely how non-Christians make it through stuff like this. Thank goodness you have Christ to provide comfort for you. Yes, He is the reason for the season.

Much love,
~Cheryl

Missy said...

SUCH great words! I have been torn up over the little girl as well, and for some reason the driver and his family have been on my heart so much. We just never know where one step is going to lead us...such a reminder that we all need Jesus and his never ending love and grace!

Holly said...

Praying for both families, dear Lindsee.

Also? I think it it awesome that your heart is so very heart that you feel and empathize and love on the people you know. There is no better sign of authenticity and loving people like Jesus said. So keep on being THAT kind of person.

Love you! Merry Christmas, Sister!

Holly said...

I meant heart is so very SOFT. :-)

Fran said...

Oh my word! Thats just too much Lindsee. I'm sorry for the hard week but I'm thankful for the perspective of life that we all need. I'm praying for those families as soon as I hit "post."

I love ya girl.
Merry Christmas.
Fran